Nothing says summer like these head turning heirloom tomatoes. This tasty dish delivers impact for very little work. However, don’t underestimate the powerful pesto. Paired with “just picked” grapes, you’ll have a satisfying and head-turning dish in less than 20 minutes.
At this very moment, tomatoes are peaking. Bright, sweet, ribbed heirloom beauties line the tables at your local farmers market. Backyard gardens are overflowing with lycopene. Be prepared to whip up salsas, marinara, salads, sandwiches, gazpacho and anything else “tomato” for the next couple months.
Featuring bread from Arizona bakery, Mediterra, this family run business provides fresh bread with organic flour, filtered cold water, sea salt and little yeast. Slow fermentation for up to 18 hours and hand kneading gives the bread a special touch.
If channeling your inner Vegan Vixen after a busy day isn’t what you had in mind, stop by Renee’s Organic Oven for fresh organic bread, local tomatoes and vegan pesto.
Many thanks to Mediterra Bakery (rustic bread), Tonopah Rob’s Farm (tomatoes, basil, grapes), Breckenfeld Family Growers (garlic), and Food Conspiracy Co-op (nutritional yeast, olive oil, sea salt) for providing all of the ingredients to make this delicious meal possible.
Heirloom Tomato Toast with Pesto
- 1 loaf Rustic Italian bread*
- 5 heirloom tomatoes in each color*
- 1 1/2 cups basil, packed*
- 1/3 cup olive oil*
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast*
- 3 garlic cloves*
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Blend all pesto ingredients in food processor until creamy smooth. Drizzle away.
- Slice the rustic bread in half, longways. Brush pesto on bread. Layer tomatoes atop until the bread is covered. Brush pesto all over tomatoes. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Slice and serve.