Succulent shrimp, Korean kimchi, and a dynamic den of delectable desserts. And they’re all found roaming the streets of Tucson this week.
Nhu Lan Vietnamese
Craving authentic Vietnamese cuisine, with a few Chinese dishes added for good measure? Check out Nhu Lan Vietnamese, a Ho Chi Minh City import right here in Tucson.
- Best Seller: Bánh mì Sandwiches. Bánh mì means bread in Vietnamese, and on these sought-after sammies, it’s a light, French-like baguette. Nhu Lan will add your choice of meat topped with fresh veggies like cucumber, cilantro leaves, and pickled shredded carrot, then a light drizzle of a favorite condiment.
- Recommended: Shrimp Tempura. Crispy tempura batter and special sauce. It’s a relatively new menu item, so get there early because it will sell out quickly.
- Where to Find: Nhu Lan is often located on 4th Avenue between 8th and 9th St.
For more information, visit Nhu Lan Vietnamese on Facebook
Bam Bam Truck
It may sound like a strange combination, but Bam Bam Truck calls its cuisine “Mexican Asian fusion.” Yeah, I know. Weird. Weird, but…good. Really good.
- Best Seller: Korean Tacos. Sure, everybody offers tacos these days, but these multi-cultural gems are worth every bite. The corn tortillas include kimchi, cilantro, scallions, romaine lettuce, asian vinaigrette, salsa roja and sesame seeds. Your choice of meat includes steak bulgogi, spicy pork, tofu or chicken.
- Recommended: Korean Burrito. A humongous flour tortilla is wrapped around Yakisoba noodles, an array of cheeses, kimchi, lettuce, asian vinaigrette, cilantro, and salsa roja. Again, the protein choice is yours.
- Where to Find: Bam Bam has a new location. Check out its permanent spot at The Flycatcher on 4th Avenue, Thursday through Saturday. The red truck is set up from 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
For more information, visit Bam Bam Truck on Facebook.
[dfptag adid=”MR_T2_Inline” center=”1″]
Pin-Up Pastries Tucson
Caaaaaaaake. Who doesn’t love cake? The creativity never stops with this wagon. In fact, you could visit Pin-Up Pastries sassy trailer every week this month and you’d probably find something new each time, like the Franken Cobbler in raspberry peach.
- Best Seller: Whoopie Pies. In every conceivable flavor, like vanilla, salted caramel, pumpkin, and more, depending on the time of year or holiday. Get in line early for these or you’ll miss your chance.
- Recommended: Lime Macadamia Squares. This is the next best thing to key lime pie and you will not believe you ate the whole thing. It’s amazingly tangy yet smooth.
- Where to Find: Pin-Up Pastries Tucson is a regular at Raytheon on Hermans Rd, if you have plant access. Otherwise, check out the food truck events around town.
For more information, visit Pin-Up Pastries Tucson on Facebook.
Food Truck Gatherings May 9 – 15
- Tuesday, May 10 at 10:30 a.m.
- Downtown Food Truck Rally at Joel D Valdez Library at 101 N Stone Ave, Tucson. Confirmed: Meatball Madness.
- Tuesday, May 10 at 4:30 p.m.
- Meet & Greet at Legacy Traditional Elementary School – Northwest Tucson, 3500 W Cortaro Farms Rd. Confirmed: Pin-Up Pastries & Bugaloo’s Ice Cream.
- Wednesday, May 11 at 5:00 p.m.
- PTO Food Truck Round-up at Rattlesnake Ridge Elementary School, 8500 N Continental Reserve Loop, Tucson. Confirmed: Taco’queta, Jackie’s Food Court, Fire Engine Hotdogs, Hellfire Pizza Co, DC Jumbie Latin Caribbean, Vina Baguette Vietnamese Sandwiches, Meatball Madness, Bugaloos Ice Cream & Crush Gourmet Raspados.
- Thursday, May 12 at 5:00 p.m.
- Arts Night at Tortolita Middle School, 4101 W Hardy Rd, Tucson. Confirmed: Big Bad Wolf Food Truck, Jackie’s Food Court, Taco’queta Mexican Food, Bugaloo’s Ice Cream, King Kettle Corn & Crush Gourmet Raspados.
- Friday, May 13 at 6:00 p.m.
- Community Fair & Silent Auction at Sycamore Elementary School, 16701 S Houghton Rd, Corona de Tucson. Confirmed: BurgerRito, Drew’s Dogs, Kool Twists, Hellfire Pizza Co. & Cowboy Kettle Corn
- Sunday, May 15 at 10:00 a.m.
- Free Tucson Pops Concert at Reid Park, 837 S. Country Club, Tucson. Confirmed: You Sly Dog, Jackie’s Food Court & Bugaloo’s Ice Cream
[dfptag adid=”PO” center=”1″]