There’s little question the hot weather is a drag, and yet, it hasn’t deterred our local street food stars. Yup, when you’re in the mood for mobile cuisine, you can still find these Tucson Food Truck Finds out and about.
DC Jumbie Latin Caribbean
The authentic taste of Caribbean food in Tucson? Mmm-hm. No kidding. DC Jumbie imports sauces and spices unique to islands southeast of the Gulf of Mexico.
- Best Seller: The best-selling Puerto Rican Combo includes rice and pigeon peas with your choice of grilled chicken or roasted pork. If you’re craving something sweet, a generous side of plantains is included. Oh, so soft and melt-in-your-mouth good.
- Recommended: Cuban Sandwich. Imagine this: Slow roasted pork, slow roasted ham, Swiss cheese, dill pickles, mayo, and mustard on an 8-inch grill-pressed sub roll. Hot damn!
- Where to Find: DC Jumbie does catering and is often seen at weddings and corporate events. Catch up with the yellow truck at a few public roundups here and there.
For more information, visit DC Jumbie Latin Caribbean on Facebook.
BBQ Rush knows how to make your mouth water and your tummy happily full. Do you see the luscious sauce glistening on those amazing ribs? Betcha want to reach through your smartphone right now and grab a piece or two. Oh, yeah.
- Best Seller: #1 Brisket Sandwich with 3 Sides. We’re talking beef brisket, a primal cut of beef that is cooked to perfection, with creamy cole slaw, tasty potato salad, and baked beans to die for.
- Recommended: Get some of these incredible St Louis-style Spare Ribs. A St. Louis cut is trimmed closely so you get all of the pork flavor with none of that annoying stuff. The chef is generous with his housemade sauce, and those sides, well, you get the picture.
- Where to Find: BBQ Rush’s Texas-style menu is found at local events, like this week’s 1st Tuesday Food Truck Roundup at Rancho Sahuarita and the Food Truck Roundup at Saguaro Bloom Park.
For more information, visit BBQ Rush on Facebook.
Taco’Queta offers tasty Mexican food on the move.
- Best Seller: The food truck’s specialty is the caramelo, so you can’t visit and not order one. Caramelo is another way of saying grilled quesadilla with sliced chicken or beef, plus beans, and cheese. If you’re hungry, order the large.
- Recommended: Three Carne Asada Tacos. Carne asada is beef–sometimes skirt or flank steak–expertly cooked and sliced. Choose corn or soft flour tortillas. Pico de gallo and cabbage is included, with brisk limes and salsa on the side.
- Where to Find: Taco’Queta frequents school events and park gatherings. You might even find them outside a brew pub once in a while.
For more information, visit Taco’Queta on Facebook.
Food Truck Gatherings June 6 – 12
- Tuesday, June 7 at 5:00 p.m.
- 1st Tuesday Food Truck Roundup at Rancho Sahuarita, 15455 S Camino Lago Azul, Sahuarita. Scheduled: Mustache Mike’s of Tucson, Gigi’s Peruvian Fusion, Meatball Madness, Don Pedro’s Peruvian Bistro, DC Jumbie Latin Caribbean, BBQ Rush, Sonoran Mexican Cuisine, Jackie’s Food Court, Taco’Queta, Vina Baguette Vietnamese Sandwiches, Big Bad Wolf, Bugaloo’s Ice Cream, Crush Gourmet Raspados, & Pin Up Pastries.
- Thursday, June 9 at 5:00 p.m.
- Food Truck Roundup at Saguaro Bloom Park, 8844 W Saguaro Moon, Marana. Scheduled: Jackie’s Food Court, BBQ Rush, Gigi’s Peruvian Fusion, Taco’Queta Mexican Food, Fire Engine Hotdogs, Sonoran Mexican Cuisine, DC Jumbie Latin Caribbean, Meatball Madness, Bugaloo’s Ice Cream, Crush Gourmet Raspados, & Pin Up Pastries.
- Friday, June 10 at 5:00 p.m.
- 2nd Fridays Food Truck Cafe at St Mark’s UMC Tucson, 1431 W Magee Rd, Tucson. Scheduled: Jozarelli’s, BurgerRito, Bella’s Gelato, MJ’s Hotdogs, J & G Kettle Corn, LLC and Sarge’s Cheesecakes.
- PTO Food Truck Roundup at Rattlesnake Ridge Elementary, 8500 N Continental Reserve Loop, Tucson. Scheduled: Gigi’s Peruvian Fusion, Taco’Queta Mexican Food, & Meatball Madness.
- Saturday, June 11 at 10:00 a.m.
- Fundraiser for Gianna at Rancho Sahuarita Clubhouse, 15455 S Camino Lago Azul, Sahuarita. Scheduled: Jackie’s Food Court, Drew’s Dogs, Hellfire Pizza, Don Pedro’s Peruvian Bistro, and Bella’s Gelato.
- Saturday, June 11 at 6:00 p.m.
- 2nd Saturdays Downtown Tucson at 125 E Congress St, Tucson. Scheduled: Meatball Madness, BurgerRito, Vina Baguette, Nations Creations Fry Bread, Jozarelli’s, Cool Cajun Cafe, Hollywood Hot Dog, Sonoran Mexican Cuisine, Big Bad Wolf, Tucson Kona Ice, Spun Fun Tucson, Bugaloo’s Ice Cream, Cody Coyote Kettle Corn, and Churros El Rey Tucson.
- Sunday, June 12 at 8:00 a.m.
- St. Philip’s Classic Farmers’ Market at St. Philip’s Plaza, 4280 N Campbell Ave, Tucson. Scheduled: Planet of the Crepes.