Mmmm. Pizza. Hot dogs. Sliders. They’re nature’s most perfect foods, just for you, in this week’s Tucson Food Truck Finds.
Grilled Chicken Pizza (Photo credit: Kim M. Bayne)
Looking for Italian street food made fresh? This large and luxe food truck is hard to miss at the most crowded of events. When you move closer, you’ll stare at a huge menu but don’t let that stop you. Here are a few choice items.
- Best Seller: Grilled Chicken Pizza. It’s pizza taken up a notch with grilled marinated chicken, smoky mozzarella cheese, crisp bacon and flavorful tomatoes. But the amazing aroma is the first thing you’ll notice. Wow! Grab a slice. You won’t be disappointed.
- Recommended: Chicken Piccata Sandwich. Chicken–seasoned, sliced and sautéed–with garlic and capers, a dreamy-creamy piccata sauce, and parmesan cheese, all served up on fresh bread.
- Where to Find: Catch Jozarelli’s on Tuesdays at Joel D. Valdez Main Library Downtown, 101 N. Stone Ave. or on selected 2nd Saturdays Downtown.
For more information, visit Jozarelli’s on Facebook.
Fire Engine Dogs
Bombero Dog (Photo credit: Fire Engine Dogs)
Fire Engine Dogs honors the “men and women who serve as firefighters throughout our country to help save lives.” Each hot dog recalls a special place in firefighter history.
- Best Seller: Granite Mountain Hotshots Bombero Dog. The Bombero is an all-beef hot dog tucked in a Sonoran-style bun, topped with pintos, grilled onions, tomatoes, mayo, mustard, jalapeño sauce, and cheese. Take a look. Drool-worthy, right?
- Recommended: Ladder 19 Philly Dog. If you can’t make up your mind, this is perfect. It’s a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich. No, it’s a hot dog on a bun. No, it’s a… OK, you get the idea. It’s rib-eye steak, cheese, and the requisite grilled veggies (peppers and onions) on top of a hot dog. Chow down!
- Where to Find: Fire Engine Dogs favors Tucson’s northwest side but it also shows up around town at public school food truck round-ups and at brew pubs, like Catalina Brewing Co.
For more information, visit Fire Engine Dogs on Facebook.
The Perfect Bite
Sliders (Photo credit: Kim M. Bayne)
It’s fairly simple. Choose your slider. Choose your bread. Choose your side: regular coleslaw, spicy coleslaw (da bomb), or quinoa salad (if you like healthy or trendy).
- Best Seller: Shredded Beef Slider on a Pretzel Bun. It’s served naked, unless you ask for cheese, too. You decide what to put on it because the chef says she “doesn’t want to tell you how to eat your food.” The truck also offers a variety of housemade sauces.
- Recommended: Housemade Veggie Burger with Spicy Duck Sauce. In fact, the duck sauce is good on just about anything on the menu, so have at it.
- Where to Find: The Perfect Bite makes the rounds at local brew pubs, like Tap & Bottle or Arizona Beer House.
For more information, visit The Perfect Bite on Facebook.
Food Truck Gatherings June 13 – 19
- Tuesday, June 14 at 5:00 p.m.
- Food Truck Roundup at Anytime Fitness, 7475 W Twin Peaks Rd, Tucson. Scheduled: Crush Gourmet Raspados, Pin-Up Pastries Tucson.
- Wednesday, June 15 at 7:00 p.m.
- Food Truck at The Loft Cinema, 3233 E Speedway Blvd, Tucson. Scheduled: Tucson Fat Noodle (Each Wednesday through July).
- Thursday, June 16 at 7:30 p.m.
- Outdoor Film Series (aka Cinema La Placita) at the Pima County Courthouse, 115 N Church Ave, Tucson. Scheduled: Truck 54 (Each Thursday through June).
- Friday, June 17 at 5:00 p.m.
- Movie Night & Twilight Farmers Market at Rancho Sahuarita, 15455 S Camino Agua Azul, Sahuarita. Scheduled: Pin-Up Pastries Tucson, Crush Gourmet Raspados.
- Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 p.m.
- Food Truck Roundup at Sycamore Park, 7442 E Sycamore Blvd, Tucson. Scheduled: Gigi’s Peruvian Fusion, Don Pedro’s Peruvian Bistro, Meatball Madness, Big Bad Wolf , Taco’Queta Mexican Food, DC Jumbie Latin Caribbean, Hellfire Pizza Co, Vina Baguette Vietnamese, Crush Gourmet Raspados, Pin Up Pastries, Bugaloo’s Ice Cream, Mustache Mike’s Italian Ice.
- Saturday, June 18 at 7:00 p.m.
- Summer Exhibition Opening for Members at the Museum of Contemporary Art, 265 S Church Ave, Tucson. Scheduled: Mr. Cookman’s BBQ.
- Sunday, June 19 at 5:00 p.m.
- Father’s Day Food Truck Roundup at Civano Park, 5241 Richard Ashley Way, Tucson. Scheduled: Don Pedro’s Peruvian Bistro, Meatball Madness, Gigi’s Peruvian Fusion, Taco’Queta Mexican Food, Big Bad Wolf, DC Jumbie Latin Caribbean, Bugaloo’s Ice Cream, Crush Gourmet Raspados.