(Credit: Local Arizona First)
Farming in your own backyard can be tough, but a little guidance can help you grow.
The AZ Food & Farm Forum is heading to The Farm at Agritopia in Gilbert, Arizona from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. on Tuesday, May 8 – Wednesday, May 9.
It’s a two day conference for food entrepreneurs and local food advocates that features networking sessions, several keynote speakers, instructional workshops, and the opportunity to contribute to your local food community.
The full two-day agenda, list of speakers, and workshops can be find online at localfirstazfoundation.org.
Tickets to the form vary from $20 to $99, depending on what type of experience you’d like.
Day One Schedule
Tuesday, May 8
- 8:30 – 8:45 a.m. – Welcome from Kimber Lanning, Local First Arizona, and the Local First Arizona Foundation
- 8:45 – 9:35 a.m. – Keynote from Deborah Frieze
- From Separation to Relationship: The Changing Nature of Food and Finance
- 9:35 – 10:30 a.m. – Lightning Talks
- 10:30 – 11 a.m. – Networking Break
- 11 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. – Breakout Session One
- Keynote Workshop: Impactful Investing in Food
- Collaborating for Long-Term Resilience: Multi-commodity agricultural co-op development in Arizona
- Small-Scale Food Safety: Who and what to know in 2018
- 1:45 – 3 p.m. – Breakout Session Two
- From Need to Opportunity: The CSA program at Desert Mission Food Bank
- Market-Based Conservation: The Verde River flows and we drink good beer
- Squeezed in the Middle: Distributors of local food navigate needs of producers and chefs
- 3 – 3:15 p.m. – Networking Break
- 3:15 – 4:30 p.m. – Breakout Session Three
- Opportunity in Arizona: Adopt-A-Sonoran-Desert-Crop
- Space for Cultivation: Integrating Agriculture into Urban Environments
- 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. – Resource Expo
- 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. – Picnic dinner (included in ticket price)
- 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. – Movie in the orchard
- Wasted! The Story of Food Waste
Day Two Schedule
Wednesday, May 9
- 8 a.m. – 9 a.m. – Tour of the Farm at Agritopia
- 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. – Breakout Session Four
- USDA Grant Funds on the Ground in Arizona: Lessons from Arizona’s food entrepreneurs
- The Farm Bill & Me: What to know about the 2018 Farm Bill
- From Hobby to Business: Making the jump into food careers
- 10:45 – 11 a.m. – Networking break
- 110 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. – Breakout Session Five
- Traditional Funding Pathways: Small business loans and Farm Service Agency programs
- Building the Business Case for Environmental Sustainability
- Identifying Local Food Marketing Strategies: How to reach your target consumer using market research
- 1:30 – 2:45 p.m. – Breakout Session Six
- Diversifying Your Revenue Stream: Accessing institutional markets
Higher Education in Local Food Economies: A conversation of resources
- You’re Already Newsworthy: How to get your story told
- 3:15 – 4 p.m. – Taking Stock: Closing Thoughts on Good Food
- 4 -5 p.m. – Foodlink: “Speed Dating” organized networking session
- 5 – 6:30 p.m. – Industry Happy House, Agritopia Farmers Market, and live music.
The Farm at Agritopia is located at 3000 E. Ray Rd., Gilbert, AZ 85296. For more information, call (602) 956-0909 or visit localfirstazfoundation.org.