Final stop of the tour takes on Burgos, Spain.
DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails continues its “Around the Globe: Sisters Cities of Gastronomy” tour with a special menu from Tuesday, August 20 – Monday, September 30.
Since Tucson became the first city in the U.S. to be named a City of Gastronomy, chef Janos Wilder and others have traveled to other “sister” cities around the world to share the region’s culinary history and unique foods.
Now, Wilder is ready to share the flavors he’s collected. The culinary tour is making the summer’s final pit stop in Burgos, Spain.
Those living in Burgos tend to feast on roasted meats, the savory local cheese Queso de Burgos, and fish dishes such as Bacalao a la Burgalesa —despite being inland.
The menu is available for more than a month at DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails. Take a glance at it to give your tastebuds something to look forward to.
Burgos, Spain Menu
- Melon and Cucumber Gazpacho – pickled cherries, serrano ham powdered croutons, and queso blanco ($10)
- Tapas Burgos – Serrano ham bruschetta with tomato jam + manchego; Vanessa’s sobrasada with quail egg and chive, boquerones, olivada, and basil ($12)
- Cheese Board – housemade queso blanco, manchego, Murcia al vino, quince, toasted almonds, dried apricots, and honeycomb ($13)
- Grilled Lamb Loin Chops – Castilian braised potatoes, purslane, pickled onions, and pickled peaches ($26)
- Pan-Seared Cod – light broth of tomato, fresh chickpeas, red beans, piquillo peppers, and salsa verde ($28)
- Olla Podrida Reconstructed – grilled pork tenderloin, spicy shredded ham hocks, chorizo chipolatas, crispy pig ears, chickpea flour fries, lemon aïoli, parsley fluid gel, and piquillo purée ($27)
- Honey-Mascarpone Ice Cream and Almond Chiffon Cake – with fig jam and balsamic whipped cream
- Orange, Rosemary Olive Oil Polenta Cake – with almond-dried cherry ice cream and mint syrup
Around the Globe: Burgos, Spain Cooking Demo and Dinner
In addition to the special menu, chef Wilder is holding a demonstration cooking class followed by a multi-course menu tasting dinner on Friday, August 23 at 6 p.m. at The Carriage House.
This class is perfect for those who want an in-depth look at the flavors, history, and the take-home cooking skills of Burgos, Spain.
Tickets are $70 per person.
DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails is located at 135 S. Sixth Ave. For more information, visit downtownkitchen.com.
The Carriage House Event Venue and Cooking School is located in downtown Tucson at 125 S. Arizona Ave. Class reservations can be made at carriagehousetucson.com or by calling 520-615-6100.