Prickly pear and mesquite-inspired samples & plenty of other activities to enjoy.
Arizona wildlife tastes the desert every day, so why not join ’em?
Sonoran Harvest: Taste the Desert at Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum will feature a wide range of activities and culinary treats from 6 – 9:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 16.
You’re not literally tasting the desert. In fact, you’ll learn about the foods found in the Sonoran Desert and then use those skills to incorporate them into your daily life.
There’s also going to be a friendly competition happening at the museum. Some of the local chefs from popular food trucks and restaurants will be battling to be crowned the Sonoran Harvest Champion. The chefs are required to use ingredients of the desert, much like prickly pear and mesquite, and attendees will get to vote for their favorite.
Ticket prices vary, so choose what best suits you. Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum members get $5 off any of the following tickets.
- Food Only Tickets include ($35) – tastings from local restaurants and small samples from the Chef’s Competition
- Food and Alcohol tickets include ($50) – tastings from local restaurants, small samples from the Chef’s Competition, 2 drink tickets, and 4 samples from local breweries
- VIP Food Only tickets include ($60) – Early entry at 5:00 p.m., reserved parking, a complimentary prickly pear lemonade, an up close experience with our furry and feathered friends, tastings from local restaurants, and samples from the Chef’s Competition
- VIP Food & Alcohol tickets include ($90) – Early entry at 5:00 p.m., reserved parking, a complimentary bottle of wine from Rancho Rosso Vineyards (valued around $20), a complimentary Prickly Pear Wheat beer from Borderlands Brewing Company, an up close experience with our furry and feathered friends, tastings from local restaurants, samples from the Chef’s Competition, 2 drink tickets, and 4 tastings from local breweries
- Tequila Tasting tickets include $25 – A special guided tasting with tequila expert, Jesús García. Sample fine tequilas and enjoy chips and salsa
When you’re not stuffing your face, don’t forget to check out the animals/residents of the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, admire the stars, listen to live music, mingle with community partners, and more.
In addition, local pumpkin sculptor, Matt Harper, will be carving a pumpkin into a desert animal. Matt was recently featured on Food Networks show “Halloween Wars.”
Sonoran Harvest: Taste the Desert Schedule
- 6:30 p.m. – Tequila Tasting (45 minutes)
- 7 p.m. – Animal Enrichment
- 7:30 p.m. – Tequila Tasting (45 minutes)
- 7:30 p.m. – Pots, Pillowcases, Blenders & Blowtorches (30 minutes)
- 7:45 p.m. – Animal Enrichment
- 8:30 p.m. – Sonoran Supermarket Talk (30 minutes)
- 9 p.m. – Animal Enrichment
Participating Restaurants and Food Trucks
- August Rhodes Market
- Batch Cafe & Bar
- Casino Del Sol
- Ciao Down
- Craft Culinary Concepts
- Fat Noodle
- Gap Kitchen
- Geronimo’s Revenge
- Mad Batter Bakery
- Prep & Pastry
- Welcome Diner
Participating Breweries & Distilleries
- Borderlands Brewing Company
- Button Brew House
- Catalina Brewing Company
- Crooked Tooth Brewing Company
- Harbottle Brewing Company
- Town Under Black Distillery
The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is located at 2021 N. Kinney Rd. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit desertmuseum.org.
View this post on Instagram
It’s the most wonderful time of the year- prickly pear fruit harvesting season! ? We love a delicious prickly pear margarita or lemonade on a hot summers day and now you can make your own! Check out the link in our bio to read the full blog post on how to responsibly harvest prickly pear out of your own backyard! ? #desertdiaries #desertmuseum ?: Lauren Belcher