Tucson personal chef Mike Neylan provides this classic recipe with a local twist – mesquite flour.
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab
- 1/3 cup crushed crackers
- 2 Tbs mesquite flour
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1 cup pecans ground in food processor
- Heat oven to 350.
- In medium-sized bowl, crumble the crab meat, removing cartilage as you crumble.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the ground pecans and mix well.
- Form mixture into 8 equal patties.
- Carefully press patties into ground pecans. Be sure to cover the patty completely.
- Heat large cast iron pan or skillet on medium-high heat for a few minutes.
- Add a few tablespoons of peanut oil and sauté crab cakes in batches until light golden brown.
- Transfer to cookie sheet to finish in oven for 5 minutes.