The former Denny’s at 3655 E. Speedway Blvd. has transformed into Izumi, a hip Japanese and sushi restaurant. While the grand opening with full menu launch happens Saturday, March 10, the restaurant is currently in soft-open phase – open to the public with a limited menu.
Peek inside to see sleek ceiling lamps and cozy booths with no resemblance of Denny’s remaining. The wall behind the hostess stand features a mounted illuminated waterfall.
The main menu features a selection of sushi and Japanese dishes typical of sushi restaurants, but also includes a few out-of-place items such as Orange Chicken and Korean Ojingeo Bokkeum. Diners will return for the main draw though — the $25 all-you-can-eat menu.
While standard AYCE items such as Japanese appetizers and sushi rolls are included, three unique items stand out: ramen, crab legs, and raw oysters. However, the latter two are limited to one order per person.
Izumi features ramen in three varieties: Baitan, a chicken and pork broth, Miso, a miso and pork broth, and Tonkotsu, a rich emulsified pork broth. Toppings are the same across the board: chashu pork, ramen, a medium-boiled egg, and vegetables such as scallions, mushrooms, and cabbage.
Izumi Main Menu (Not All-You-Can-Eat) Highlights
- Izumi Roll ($17.50) – two lobster tails, cucumber, wrapped in soy paper topped with spicy crab, eel sauce, spicy mayo
- Pepper Tuna ($11) – sliced pepper tuna, avocado, scallion, masago, ponzu sauce
- Umami Oyster ($8) – caviar, ikura, tuna
- Grilled Pork Belly ($9) – pork belly, green onion, jalapeño, steam buns
- Ojingeo Bokkeum ($8) – sauteed squid, spicy chili sauce
- Miso Salmon ($19) – grilled salmon, mixed veggies, miso sauce
- Fried Banana Spring Rolls ($7) – served with red bean ice cream
Stay tuned for more details after the grand opening.
Izumi is located at 3655 E. Speedway Blvd. Operating hours are 11 a.m. – 10 p.m. Sunday – Thursday, 11 a.m. – 11 p.m. Friday – Saturday. For more information, call (520) 327-2778.