DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails is starting its Around the Globe Summer Culinary Tour with a Macau menu from Wednesday, May 23 – Wednesday, July 11.
Representing Tucson as the first city in the US to be named a City of Gastronomy, chef Janos Wilder and others have been invited to other “sister” cities around the world to share the region’s culinary history and unique foods.
The DOWNTOWN Kitchen Around the Globe summer series features menus from all over, focusing on ingredients, technique, and the culinary appreciation of each destination.
This year begins with Macau. A region of the People’s Republic of China, Macau has 400 years of culinary experience. The cuisine highlights a blend of Southern Chinese and Portuguese cuisines, with a hint of Southeast Asia.
- Sesame Soft Shell Crab with Macanese Stir-Fried Rice Vermicelli – char siu, egg, carrot, red chili, bean sprouts, cilantro, and ginger pickle
- Fat Noodles with XO Sauce – crisp white fish, wood ear mushrooms, and Chinese BBQ sausage
- Malay Soft Eggplant, Pineapple, and Long Bean Vegetable Curry – shiitake mushrooms, tofu, fried lotus root, and lime
- Duck Leg and Thigh Braised in Red Wine, and Tamarind with Pork – spice trade seasonings and spring onion salad
- Macanese Head-On Chili Soup, and Coconut Milk Pressed Rice Cake – stirp-fried baby bok choy and Portuguese olives
- Braised and Seared Tumeric Pork Shoulder, and Plum Sauce – truffled potatoes, honey mint carrots, braising juices, and ginger pickles
- Portuguese Flourless Chocolate Cinnamon, Coffee, Rum Mousse Cake – curried whip cream, and ginger caramel sauce
- Lychee, Ginger, and Pandan Sorbet – passion fruit, tapioca sauce, and pineapple
Bar Menu Only
- Macanese Pork Bun – griddled pork chop on crisp baguette + chili mayo, lettuce, tomato, cucumber
In addition to the menu update, Wilder will hold a cooking class and dinner for the Macau tour from 6 – 9 p.m. on Saturday, June 2 at the Carriage House.
Tickets are $70 per person, and the evening will include the demonstration class and a multi-course dinner with beverages.
DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails is located at 135 S. 6th Ave. The DOWNTOWN Kitchen Around the Globe Summer Culinary Tour begins May 23. For more information, visit downtownkitchen.com.