Tasty wine, lively conversation, and works of art on every plate.
Chef Kusuma Rao is putting together a five-course meal paired with wines from Sand-Reckoner Vineyards from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 5.
Rao grew up on Indian cuisine and Sonoran Mexican street food. She then started to create her own Indian Fusion Cuisine in her mother’s kitchen in Tucson at a very young age — experimenting with spices from all over the world.
Rao spends part of her time in Portland, Oregon, but has come back to Tucson to share her spices.
Throughout each course, Rao will give background information about all the spices used as well as a breakdown of the style, preparation, and fermentation by the winemakers.
Seats are $85 per person. The choice of wine has yet to be determined but take a look at the menu — just don’t take too long to decide because seating is limited.
Sand-Reckoner Vineyards Dinner Menu – tentative
- House sourdoughs with fermented lemon pickle butter
- Beet Masala Tartine – caramelized fennel and beet masala spread with ground hazelnut black cardamom, cinnamon, and chevre
- Paired with 2016 Roussanne
- Chaat Tostada – yellow peas curry topped with pico de gallo and a series of chaat chutneys, including a mint pepita chutney, a tamarind-date chutney, and a sweet and savory yogurt chutney topped with a house-made chickpea vermicelli
- Paired with 2017 Orange Roussanne
- Bengali Gajar Salad – shredded carrots and farro with warming Punjabi spices, fried cashews, mustard seed, and curry leaves drizzled with local honey and a touch of habanero oil
- Paired with 2016 Picpoul Blanc
- Kashmiri Cavatelli Bolognese – Kashmiri-style lamb bolognese with Indian spices and Kashmiri red chile. Served with a house made cavatelli with Hayden Mills Sonoran white wheat
- Paired with a 2015 Cross blend
- Falooda Panna Cotta – rose panna cotta with rose-swelled basil seeds, an arbequina olive oil, and basil-infused salted white chocolate
- Paired with 2017 Grenache Rosé
The dinner is taking place at a private residence at 946 N. 11th Ave. For more information and to purchase your tickets, visit eventbrite.com.