"Having the market and restaurant play off of each other was always the goal."
The seasons change, we’re all aware of that, and so do other things like our hairstyles or wardrobe choices. Every so often, perhaps daily, our food cravings and desires morph into something different than they were the day before.
Fortunately, our local restaurants catch your drift — they’re changing their menus with the ebbs and flows of your stomach rumblings. For instance, Flora’s Market Run, who’s just over its first year near the corner of Sixth Street and Tucson Boulevard, has a brand new menu they’re proud to be sharing with the community.
“What excites me the most about this menu is that I finally feel like we have one that plays into this location,” said Nate Ares, partner at Flora’s Market Run, Prep & Pastry, and Commoner & Co. “Having the market and restaurant play off of each other was always the goal and I feel like this menu does that.”
New additions to the menu
At first glance, you’ll notice there are a few new sandwiches like the Flora’s “Animal Style” Burger, which is their beefed-up version of In-N-Out’s famous burger. If you’re lucky, maybe they’ll let you in on what’s in their “secret sauce.”
There’s also a Crispy Fish Sandwich that’s fishin’ to get you hooked after the first bite. Between the two buns rests a tempura-battered cod, tomato, pickles, coleslaw, and mayonnaise with a side of fries to keep it company.
Those familiar with the pizza section of the menu may be surprised to find their favorites missing, but the replacements are tasty enough to help you move on — change is good. One of the new pizzas is actually one of Ares’ favorite additions coming out of the kitchen.
“The Fermented Tomato Pizza and the Mussels as an appetizer,” said Ares. “The mussels being in a corn broth with tarragon oil and malt-dusted fries have been the biggest hit. The fermented tomato pizza is my personal favorite. The fermented tomatoes bring a fun funky pop of flavor that compliments the housemade sausage and lemon zest.”
There’s a collection of new pasta dishes, too, like the Romesco Shrimp Pasta — squid ink fettuccini, romesco sauce, spinach, shrimp, and garlic.
- Basil Tomato Bisque – San Marzano tomatoes, cream, grated parmesan, olive oil
- Coconut Shrimp -coconut battered shrimp, cocktail sauce, pineapple chutney
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip – wood-fired creamy spinach, artichokes, truffled mascarpone, fresh herbs, olive oil
- Hummus – hummus, tabbouleh, arugula, whipped feta
- House Made Charcuterie – chef’s choice meats and craft cheeses, pickled grapes, berries, apricot mustard, toasted bread
- Mussels – elote broth, roasted corn, chive oil, malt vinegar dusted fries, garlic aioli
- Margherita – mozzarella, basil, san marzano red sauce, roasted garlic
- Shaved Brussel – parmigiano reggiano, meyer lemon caesar dressing, mozzarella
- Italian Pepperoni – mozzarella, ricotta, pepperoni, san marzano red sauce, garlic
- Team Pineapple – pickled jalapeno, prosciutto, mozzarella, wood fired pineapple
- Fermented Tomato – mozzarella, sicilian sausage, kale, kalamata olives
- AR Grilled Cheese – havarti, provolone, garlic aioli, with a tomato bisque
- Flora’s “Animal Style” Burger – secret sauce, pinot noir caramelized onions, American cheese, pickles,
- Seared Salmon -jasmine rice, quince glaze, quinoa crunch, zucchini, bok choy, lemon beurre blanc
- Crispy Fish Sandwich – tempura-battered cod, tomato, pickles, coleslaw, mayo, fries
- Harissa Chicken -mint apricot couscous, harissa glaze, tzatziki sauce
- Roast Beef Dip – housemade roast beef, charred rosemary aioli, caramelized onion, roasted bell pepper, provolone
- Kale Tahini Salad – baby kale, cucumbers, red onion, bell pepper, sweet potatoes, tahini vinaigrette, lemon
- Chopped Market Salad – kale, romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, artichoke, red onion, asparagus, chickpeas, kalamata olives, feta cheese, Green Goddess dressing
- Polder Bowl – emmer, Sonoran wheat berries, quinoa, roasted beets, turmeric roasted cauliflower and carrot, dill, kale, arugula, pumpkin seeds, green goddess dressing
- Corn Carbonara – parmesan, pancetta, corn broth, fettuccini, black pepper, cream
- Romesco Shrimp Pasta – house squid ink fettuccini, romesco sauce, spinach, shrimp, garlic
- Ricotta Stuffed Shells – marinara sauce, Sicilian sausage, parmesan, mozzarella
The breakfast & Lunch menu is also equipped with new items
During the earlier hours of the day, there’s more coming out of the kitchen as well. Flora’s Market Run is now serving out new breakfast items, too, along with a lunch menu that’s fairly similar to the dinner dishes.
“My favorite is the Breakfast Sandwich,” said Ares. “A bun baked by Cafe Francais, pimento cheese, bacon, sunny-side-up egg, and tossed arugula. Also, really good and new is the Tucson Bowl, filled with mole, sweet potato, kale, carnitas, and a sunny-side-up egg, and the Lemon Ricotta Pancakes, which is our classic buttermilk pancake recipe whipped with ricotta, warm blueberry sauce, and lemon zest.”
Breakfast is served from 7 – 11 a.m., lunch runs from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m., and you can check out the full breakfast and lunch menu online.
Coming soon to Flora’s
The grocery is going to be getting a hot food line for grab-and-go prepared foods, and they’re working on the reintroduction of Flora’s popular salad bar.
Flora’s Market Run is located at 2513 E. Sixth St. For more information, visit florasmarket.com.