With summer comes many lovely things – swimming, cold showers, picnics, and loads of sunshine. You can count on this no mess, no fuss Italian tuna salad recipe to provide a serious dose of protein so you can get back out there quickly and keep having fun. Feel free to get creative with the optional addition of lemon zest, sundried tomatoes, and olives.
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Measuring spoons
- 15 oz cannellini (white) beans
- 5-5 oz cans tuna, preferably fresh or packed in water
- 1 small red onion (or ½ medium)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black or white pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- Handful of flat-leaf (Italian) parsley (optional)
- Mince garlic and place in large bowl. Mix in capers, salt, pepper, lemon juice, vinegar, and olive oil.
- Chop tomatoes and flake tuna. Add to bowl along with beans.
- Serve! Optional parsley can be sprinkled on top for extra color.
This salad provides four to five servings, with each serving costing $1.92 or less. The total for this meal is $7.66, with consideration for the amount used from each ingredient’s total package. The ingredients used can be found in every local grocery store in town.