Could the modest bagel be one of Tucson’s hottest new items?
AKA Deli & Bakeshop is mighty proud of their house-made bagels — so much that they recently expanded their bagel program.
That phrase sounds silly, but a quality bagel deserves all the attention it can get. The glossy brown exterior with crunchy micro-bubbles shields a tender yet slightly chewy interior.
The bagel selection features a wide range of flavors, ranging from common standards such as blueberry, sesame seed, or onion to unorthodox flavors such as curry, dill seed, and sourdough.
Current house-made cream cheese flavors include mixed berry, veggie, and bacon chive.
Menu specials and soup specials change weekly, but here’s a peek at some of the menu’s bagel sandwiches:
- #1 ($8.25) – Rosemary ham, cheddar, baby greens, dijonnaise
- #2 ($8.50) – Roast beef, brie, tomato, horseradish mayo
- #3 ($8.25) – Veggie cream cheese, baby greens, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion
- #4 Build your own ($8.50)
Choose two (+$1 for gravlax) – roast beef, ham, bacon, turkey breast, gravlax, Swiss, cheddar, brie, cream cheese
Choose up to three – tomato, baby greens, red onion, cucumber mayo, horseradish mayo, Dijon, dijonnaise, pesto
Additionally, AKA now offers bagel platters with Jewish deli-inspired items such as house gravlax and whitefish salad.
- Fish & Bagel Platter ($10) – cream cheese, hard egg, capers, onions, cucumbers, lemon, and choice of whitefish salad or gravlax,
- Chicken Salad & Bagel Platter ($9.75) – curried chicken salad, baby greens, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers
While AKA isn’t an outright Jewish deli, they do plan on adding Jewish deli type foods such as house-made schmears, house-made pastrami, and hummus platters onto the menu in the near future.
What’s more, breakfast sandwiches also get some bagel lovin’ alongside AKA’s English muffins.
- Veggie Bagel Sandwich ($5.50) – egg, Swiss, roasted mushrooms, caramelized onions, roasted red bell peppers
- Bacon Cheddar Bagel Sandwich ($5.75) – egg, thick sliced bacon, white cheddar
- Florentine English Muffin Sandwich ($5.25) – egg, wilted spinach, roasted tomato, Piave cheese
- English Muffin Sausage Sandwich ($5.25) – egg, chicken sausage and white cheddar
To sweeten the deal, AKA also offers an early bird special from 8 – 9 a.m. Monday through Friday, which includes a breakfast sandwich and cup of Caffe Luce coffee for $6.75.
Last but not least, AKA shows they’re a worthy brunch destination with their Mimosa ($7) and Bloody Mary ($8). The Mimosa is straightforward orange juice and sparkling white wine, while the Bloody Mary has a kick of hot sauce and fresh cracked pepper with a skewer of house-made pickles, which may include pickled fennel, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, and beet-pickled egg.
Guests can still expect the same selection of baked pastries such as cookies, scones, cinnamon rolls, cakes, and more. The refrigerator and shelf space has expanded, featuring rarer brands of goodies such as sodas, pastas, and other deli goodies.
With fresh produce from Pivot Produce, the simple, classy salads and bagel accoutrements shine bright like a bagel. A good bagel.
AKA Deli & Bakeshop is located at 100 S. Avenida del Convento #126 and can be reached at (520) 369-2265. Operating hours are 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. For more information, visit akatucson.com.