Anello ding room (Credit: Jackie Tran)
After nine months of unforeseen delays, 6th Street pizzeria Anello (previously named Monello) is opening at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, October 3.
Anello owner and pizzaiolo (pizza maker) Scott Girod previously worked under pizza icon Chris Bianco for four years, including a stint at Pizzeria Bianco before it closed its downtown Tucson location.
The 900-square-foot, 28-seat space at 222 E. 6th St. features a minimal, contemporary decor which exudes warmth with low hanging lights and indirect sunlight from east and north-facing windows. The wood-fired Stefano Ferrara Napoli pizza oven is the centerpiece of the pink-walled kitchen. Paintings inspired by Mexican architecture, painted by Girod’s mother, adorns the bare-white eastern dining room wall. The western wall features a shelf with pumpkins, wine glasses, and Girod’s most-referenced cookbooks such as Tartine Bread and Relæ.
Anello’s small menu highlights Girod’s emphasis on quality and locality with sourcing through Pivot Produce. Mozzarella curds will be stretched in-house, while peak season vegetables will be utilized in items such as pickles or tomato jam. Pizza dough will be created from fermented natural sourdough.
Traditionally imported items will be domestic as well. Olive oil will be sourced from California Olive Ranch. Iowa-based La Quercia prosciutto ($5) and local Forbes Meat Company Italian sausage ($4) will be available as optional toppings. The kitchen will also stock canned tomatoes from Chris Bianco’s Bianco DiNapoli brand.
Anello owner and pizzaiolo Scott Girod (Credit: Jackie Tran)
- Nuts – savory and candied nuts ($4)
- Seasonal Veggies – local organic roasted, grilled, or raw vegetables ($6)
- Focaccia – wood-fired and served with house-made cheese ($6)
- Marinara Pizza – tomato sauce, garlic, oregano, olive oil, basil ($11)
- Margherita Pizza – tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, olive oil, basil ($11)
- Bianca Pizza – fresh mozzarella, ricotta, garlic, olive oil, basil, chiltepin ($12)
- Flourless Almond Cake – soaked in cardamom citrus syrup ($6)
- Chocolate Rye Brownie – with dulce de leche and smoked walnuts ($6)
- Gelato – three scoops, rotating flavors ($3)
Anello is located at 222 E. 6th St. Operating hours will be 5 – 10 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Keep up with Anello on Facebook. For more information, visit anello.space.