Interior at Cans Deli (Credit: Jackie Tran)
Cans Deli, a sister concept of TallBoys, has officially opened. The front of the 6,000-square-foot space serves as a deli, while the back serves as music-focused bar.
The interior features teal and apricot accents for an aesthetic evocative of a rollerskating rink. Customers order at the counter, then sit at one of the booths, window tables, or the communal high-top table.
Prices are affordable, ranging from $6 for Smoked & Fried Chicken Wings to $10 for the Pastrami Sandwich.
Our favorite was the House-Smoked Pork Belly Sandwich, which tasted like an evolved BLT. The pork belly was sliced thick enough for substantial meatiness, complemented by the clever addition of tangy and subtly sweet pickled tomatillos. The feta spread complemented the richness and acidity of the aforementioned ingredients.
House-Smoked Pork Belly Sandwich at Cans Deli (Credit: Jackie Tran)
Cans Deli Menu Highlights
- Pastrami Sandwich ($10) – smoked brisket, ground mustard on rye bread
- Turkey Sandwich ($10) – smoked turkey breast, hot ‘n sweet mustard, sharp cheddar, spring mix, tomato and onion on sourdough
- Smoked Eggplant Beet Sandwich ($10) – roasted yellow beets, goat chevre, roasted pecans, arugula, orange marmalade on wheat bread
- House-Smoked Pork Belly Sandwich ($10) – garlic jam, pickled tomatillos, arugula, house feta spread on wheat bread
- Smoked & Fried Chicken Wings ($6) – house-smoked chicken wings, classic style wing sauce, served with carrots & house-made tzatziki
- House-Made Pickles ($1)
Cans is currently running on limited operating hours of 5 – 10 p.m. for food and 5 p.m. – 2 a.m. for the bar. Starting Monday, food will be available from 11 a.m. – 10 p.m.
The menu is also limited at the moment — Cans will soon begin work on their own bread program, kimchi, and a handful of Mediterranean items such as falafel and hummus.
For more information on the history of Cans Deli, read Jewish deli-inspired “Cans” to replace “The Crackhouse” on 4th.
Cans Deli is located at at 340 N. 4th Ave. Keep up with Cans Deli on Facebook.