The chef couple embraces hanger steak during dinner as well
“When Matt and I were in culinary school we spent countless nights dreaming about our future in the restaurant industry as chefs,” said Nikki Thompson, chef-owner at Nook. “We would create menus and play our own version of Iron Chef, just us two. Every menu and all of the details we dreamed up was dinner. Our original business plan was dinner.”
However, the restaurant space changed the duo’s plans.
“When we found the space for Nook we saw breakfast and lunch, and we fit a missing niche for affordable and fresh brunch downtown, and we ran with it,” she said.
While Nook has kept up breakfast, brunch, and lunch the past three-and-a-half years, the Thompsons haven’t abandoned their dreams of dinner service and evening ambiance.
Nook announced plans to serve dinner beginning Saturday, September 15. Dinner hours will be 5 – 10 p.m. Thursday through Sunday.
“We’ve dabbled in the idea of opening another location,” Nikki said. “We tried our hands at turning someone else’s dream into our own, but when it all comes down to it, Nook is our baby and it’s time to grow up.”
The menu features the approachability of comfort food with some Asian and tropical influences as a result of the chefs’ time in Hawaii.
One last surprise — Nook is also working on revamping their patio with upgrades on the furniture and garden.
Nook Dinner Menu Highlights
- Pork and Shrimp Shumai – steamed dumplings, Thai basil ponzu
- Anniversary Clams – white wine, garlic, grilled crostini
- Crispy Charred Soybeans – spicy edamame, garlic, ginger, soy
- Bruschetta Three Ways – dill and lox, roasted garlic, white balsamic
- Bibb Blossom House Salad – local bibb lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red wine rose vinaigrette
- Purple Caesar – radicchio, romaine, purple cabbage, parmesan, pumpernickel croutons
- Cobb Wedge – romaine, radish, bacon, egg, cheese, avocado, breadcrumbs, buttermilk dressing
- Steakhouse Salad – hanger steak, greens, carrot cucumber, radish, scallions, red chili vinaigrette
- Korean BBQ Ribs – gochujang glazed grilled ribs, jasmine rice, succotash salad
- Fried Chicken – potato puree, grilled purple cabbage, mustard green pesto
- Cauliflower Gnocchi (gluten-free, vegan) – crispy chickpeas, spinach, shakshuka, coconut yogurt
- Caribbean Salmon – jerk, pineapple salsa, rice, and peas
- Pomegranate Glazed Pork Chop – apple waffle, fried spinach
- Pink Peppercorn Steak “Frites” – hanger steak, fried potato salad, 24-hour slow-dried sweet tomato
- Mom’s Meatloaf – sriracha ketchup glaze, red onion blossom soubise, potato puree
“We are so excited for this next step and I can’t wait to show Tucson that we are more then just breakfast chefs,” Nikki said. “The food will speak for itself.”
Nook is located at 1 E. Congress St. For more information, call (520) 622-6665 or visit nookdowntown.com.