Familiar flavors will be served with an emphasis on freshness, simple-yet-beautiful plating, and wholesome ingredients.
The Coronet announced that its sister cafe will open with a limited menu on October 5. Little sister cafe, to be precise; Fonda La Hermanita roughly translates to The Little Sister Restaurant.
Located on the same property as The Coronet at 198 W. Cushing St., La Hermanita will be open from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday.
“I also had a dream with Erika Bostick,” Coronet partner Sally Kane said in a previous interview. “We’ve thought about it for years, something that resembles a Fonda. It will be counter service as opposed to table. If you want to get more coffee, you can just help yourself and fill your cup again.”
Bostick, who was executive chef at The Coronet when it first opened, rejoined the team as chef de cocina of Fonda La Hermanita.
“[Fonda La Hermanita] a place where the guest will enjoy honest and accessible food and drink made with integrity, utilizing local ingredients whenever possible,” Bostick said. “The beautiful Barrio Viejo will set the tone for a peaceful breakfast or lunch with friends, an exceptional coffee break or a quiet respite for a snack and a drink.”
The cuisine will be inspired by the rich origins of Mexican gastronomy, Bostick said. Furthermore, familiar flavors will be served with an emphasis on freshness, simple-yet-beautiful plating, and wholesome ingredients.
Fonda La Hermanita Menu
- Ensalada Nativa ($12) – organic mixed greens, queso fresco, roasted chiles, pepitas, black beans, pickled cholla buds, radish, crispy corn tortilla strips, herb vinaigrette
- Caldo de Pollo con Chochoyotes ($10) – corn masa dumplings, free range chicken, seasonal local vegetables in savory chicken broth
Platos (served with choice of one side and choice of one protein)
- Molletes ($9.50) – bolillo bread split and toasted, served open face with your choice of protein, melted queso Oaxaca, refried beans, salsa negra, local greens
- Gorditas (two for $9.00) – corn gorditas split and filled with choice of protein, lightly dressed baby greens, queso fresco, black bean spread, pickled red onion
- Silky Scrambled Eggs
- Free Range Chicken
- Chipotle Braised Hibiscus Flowers
Sides ($2.50 a la carte)
- Frijoles Charros
- Frijoles Refritos
- Arroz Verde
- Local Ensalada (+$1)
- Fruta Fresca (+$1)
The cafe also offers a variety of espresso drinks, coffee, aguas frescas, iced tea, beer, wine, micheladas, mimosas, and bloody Marys.
Fonda La Hermanita is located at 198 W. Cushing St. For more information, visit lahermanita.com.