A fantastic voyage of edible rewards
Oh, it’s summertime. The birds are chirping, the sun is sizzlin’ everything in sight, and the dishes are coming together at the midtown restaurant that’s known for its annual tour of the U.S.
Kingfisher Bar & Grill’s 2022 Summer Road Trip, which is a culinary journey through different regions of the U.S., began in May and continues with a Down South menu beginning on Tuesday, June 28.
It’s wild to think that Kingfisher has been hitting the road — in a culinary sense — for 29 years. It’s a road trip that doesn’t require much travel. It’s an excursion that dodges the awkward pit stops at tourist traps and not-so-clean restrooms. It’s the annual celebration of signature dishes from across the country..
Each regional menu, like the Down South dishes, is created by one of Kingfisher’s executive chefs, Jim Murphy, Jeff Azersky, and Fred Harris, which is offered in addition to the regular Kingfisher menu. Also, to add a cherry on top, pastry chef Marianne Banes will be serving up a delectable dessert creation for each leg of the trip, and the talented bar staff is standing by to create a perfectly paired cocktail.
Important dates to keep in mind
The following menu will be available from Tuesday, June 28 – Saturday, July 2. The restaurant will be closed from Sunday, July 3 – Monday, July 18, and then reopening with the Down South menu again from Tuesday, July 19 – Saturday, July 23.
DOWN SOUTH MENU
- Creole BBQ Spiced Shrimp and Grits – garlic, parsley, Worcestershire, dark beer, sweet butter ($17)
- Fried Select Oysters (3) – green Tabasco aioli, scallions ($12)
- Fried Cornmeal Crusted Catfish – pickled cucumbers, creole tartar sauce, Texmati rice, corn maque choux ($25)
- Crawfish Etouffee – dark brown roux, mirepoix, Texmati rice, scallions ($28)
DESSERT & DRINKS
- Southern Banana Pudding – homemade vanilla wafers, sliced bananas, vanilla custard, whipped cream ($9)
- Charleston Cooler – Dona Antonia port, house lime cordial, absinthe rinse, Fever Tree tonic water, candied lime peel ($12)
2022 Summer Road Trip Schedule
If you can’t hop on during this first road trip, there’s going to be plenty more to attend throughout the season. Here is the rest of the schedule happening at the midtown restaurant:
Pacific Northwest (Tuesday, June 14 – Saturday, June 25)
- Down South (Tuesday, June 28 – Saturday, July 2 and Tuesday, July 19 – Saturday, July 23)
- Great Plains/Midwest (Tuesday, July 26 – Saturday, August 6)
- Back East (Tuesday, August 9 – Saturday, August 20)
- California/Hawaii (Tuesday, August 23 – Saturday, September 3)
The restaurant, which offers a gathering of regional influences, seafood dishes, grilled meats, and poultry entrees, is open 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. on Tuesday – Saturday.
Kingfisher Bar & Grill is located at 2564 E Grant Rd. For reservations call (520) 323-7739 and visit kingfishertucson.com for more information.