If you aren’t traveling this summer, or you haven’t visited a restaurant offering a special menu summing up their travels in a regional food showcase, it’s time to get with the program.
First, Kingfisher launched their Summer Road Trip series, followed by Albert Hall’s Taste of The Pacific Northwest dinner, but for years, Janos’ has been bringing exotic culinary styles from all over the world to Tucson palates. This season, it’s through the Around the Globe Summer Tour.
This leg of the journey Downtown Kitchen + Cocktails will book out of Charleston and step foot into the holy land, Jerusalem, on August 5th.
From a recent press release:
The food of Jerusalem embraces overlapping layers of religion, culture and conquest. In many recipes, the ingredients and dishes are harmonious even with many variations stemming from similar sources. Through this, a food culture has developed that accents what the people in Jerusalem have in common, not what sets them apart. For instance, the salad of za’atar and yogurt pureed with beets and served with toasted hazelnuts, goat cheese, babaganoush, roasted butternut squash, and green peas plays on a number of cross cultural flavor themes that found throughout the city.
The Jerusalem leg of Downtown Kitchen + Cocktails’ is the third Around the Globe Summer tour destination, which began in Singapore, followed by Charleston.
Guests who have been keeping up with the journey are issued s Summer Passport. Gathering stamps in the passport leads to free goodies such as a free appetizer after 4 stamps, and a free entree after 8 stamps.
Here’s the menu:
Jerusalem Menu August 5 – September 1
- The PeaceMaker with gin, cardamom syrup, cucumber, lemon, basil, mint, and house ginger beer.
- Na’ama’s Fattoush – chopped salad with tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, flatbread, buttermilk dressing, mint, and sumac.
- The Whirling Dervish – Za’atar + yogurt pureed beets, toasted hazelnuts, goat cheese, babaganoush, roasted butternut squash, and green peas.
- Lamb + Beef Meat Balls (Kofta b’siniyah) – tahini sauce, toasted almonds, and sweet paprika.
- Lamb Shawarma with Grilled Flat Bread – roast leg of lamb marinated in cloves, cardamom, fenugreek, fennel, star anise, pickled mango, cucumber, tomato salad, hummus and pomegranate molasses.
- Roast Chicken Thighs with Oranges, Fennel + Tunisian Olives served on pomegranate molasses scented sweet potato puree.
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Fresh Figs, Fried Eggplant + Goat Cheese – green onions, pomegranates, roasted red grapes, balsamic vinegar + date syrup.
- Sweet Filo Cigars + Orange Frozen Yogurt – pistachios, honey syrup, candied orange zest.
- Halvah-Sesame Sundae – caramel + sesame candy.
The menu items can be purchased individually or as a three course option.