If you were to ask the typical Tucsonan what their plans are for Cinco de Mayo, they’re likely to have an answer that involves a couple tacos and a lot of tequila. However, should you ask what the holiday of Cinco de Mayo actually celebrates, you are more likely to receive a blank stare or a bad guess (hint: it’s not Mexico’s version of the Fourth of July.)
Cinco de Mayo, or El Dia de la Batalla de Puebla, honors the victory of the Mexican army over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862; a critical battle in the midst of a brutal war for Mexico. Cinco de Mayo commemorates a day of hope that has evolved over the years into a celebration of Mexican heritage.
Now that you know why it’s a day worth indulging on the tastiest cuisine and cocktails Mexico has brought to the United States, here is a roundup of places to celebrate at in Tucson.
Blanco Tacos + Tequila
2905 E Skyline Dr
Blanco is truly making a day of it, with happy hour extended to a full eight hours. Enjoy a wide selection of drinks, including classic margaritas, shandies, daiquiris, micheladas, sangria, wine and Mexican beers. Balance it out with $3 tacos, $4 tortas, or another Blanco classic, like Guacamole, Green Chili Queso or Churros.
Happy Hour Menu highlights:
- Pastor Chicken Taco – Achiote, roasted pineapple, grilled onion, chipotle sauce, and cabbage slaw
- Crispy Shrimp “Po Boy” Tostada – Chipotle mayo, pickled Fresno chili, and green cabbage slaw
- White Peach & Hibiscus Margarita – Jose Cuervo Silver, white peach, hibiscus syrup
- Sparkling Sangria – Sparkling wine, brandy, peach, lemon
For more information, visit foxrc.com.
Boca Tacos Y Tequila
828 E Speedway Blvd
Rather than just a one-day fiesta, Boca is running all-day drink specials May 1 through May 5. While you’re there, try out a few of Boca’s 24 daily taco selections. Happy Hour runs between 3 and 6pm, offering $1.50 Carne Asada Tacos and $4 chips, served with Boca’s signature fresh salsa.
Drink specials include:
- $2 tequila shots
- $3 Tecate, Tecate Light and SOL
- $5 margaritas
For more information, visit bocatacos.com.
All three of El Charro’s locations will be offering food and drink specials on Tuesday to celebrate.
- $5 ‘Ocean’s 22 Margaritas’ with George Clooney’s Casamigos tequila
- Two for $5 Corona and Corona Light
- $5 BBQ Carnitas Tortas
For more information visit elcharrocafe.com.
5689 N Swan Rd
Through Tuesday, Fini’s is offering Tucson-style specials, including Sonoran Dogs and buckets of Modelo.
- $5 Sonoran Dogs
- $2 Elote
- $12.50 buckets of Modelo Especial
Reforma Cocina Y Cantina
4310 N Campbell Ave
Reforma is celebrating their first Cinco de Mayo with live Latin Jazz from The Rafael Trio, $5 House Margaritas, half-price tequila and $3 Street Tacos.
Street taco specials include:
- Ropa Vieja de Pollo – Chicken, tomato, sweet peppers and radishes
- Hongos y Rajas – Mushrooms, green chili, onions, salsa molcajete
- Cochinita Pibil – Slow roasted pork, sour orange, achiote, cotija, salsa Habanero
- Carne Asada – Marinated Steak, cabbage, lime, cotija and fire roasted salsa
For more information, visit reformatucson.com.
Sir Veza’s Taco Garage
220 W Wetmore Rd, 4699 E Speedway Blvd
Sir Veza’s will be offering their weekly El Macho Taco Tuesday, with a special eating contest starting at 6pm and a DJ providing entertainment from 8pm to close.
- $1 Mini Street Tacos
- $3 Modelos and Coronas
- $5 Patron Margaritas
For more information, visit sirvezas.com.