If you didn’t get to take an island vacation this summer, you still have a chance to dine like you’re in the Carribean.
Downtown Kitchen + Cocktail’s Around the Globe Tour is offering a full menu of Jamaican cuisine until August 31. It is heavily infused with floral, fruity flavors like hibiscus, passion fruit, and pineapple, and features traditional Jamaican dishes like jerk chicken, kidney beans and crispy plantains.
Like many island cuisines, Jamaican cuisine is rooted in a blend of indigenous flavors and external influences from Southeast Asia, Europe and Africa. Many popular Jamaican dishes are recipes from these foreign travelers, adapted to use the local produce.
In true Janos Wilder fashion, it is difficult to determine a highlight dish, with a menu that starts with a pink peppercorn infused rum cocktail and ends with a hibiscus rum ice cream caramelized banana split.
Downtown Kitchen + Cocktails Around The Globe Tour: Jamaica
- Flower of Kingston – Pink peppercorn infused rum, sweet and bitter chamomile, grapefruit and pineapple juices, JJ’s Housemade Ginger Beer
- Crab Meat Rundown, Creamy Carribean Corn and Sweet Potato Stamp and Go – Coconut milk, curry, tomatoes, scallionsor
- Jerk Chicken Wings and Sweet Potato Jam – Cho Cho slaw
- Lime Cay Red Bean Soup – Kidney beans, beef, sweet potatoes, ginger, onions, habanero peppers
- Coconut Rum Glazed Beef Shoulder and Green Papaya Relish – Cornbread pudding, mango sauce
- Curried Goat and Cranberry, Pineapple Habanero Chutney – Crisp plantains, island style rice and peas
- Griddled Octopus and Spinach Stuffed Trout, Merleton, Peppers, Onion Escovitch – Pineapple/coconut milk rice
- Rum Cake and Passion Fruit Ice Cream – Mango compote
- Hibiscus Rum Ice Cream Caramelized Banana Split – Rum hard sauce, ginger snap crumbles, candied orange zest
Menu items are available individually priced or as a three-course menu for $36 ($39 with beef).
For more information, visit downtownkitchen.com.