Assorted sweets at aka Deli & Bakeshop (Credit: Jackie Tran)
Grab-and-go options are coming to Mercado San Agustin via aka Deli & Bakeshop, opening December 3.
The space at 100 S. Avenida del Convento, Ste. 126, which formerly housed Blu – A Wine & Cheese Stop, is next door to sister restaurant Agustin Kitchen.
“I’m excited to bring a new vibe to the Mercado,” said Jaime Lawhorn, executive pastry chef at aka.
Seating accommodates 15 people inside and another 28 outside on the patio. The walls are adorned with 1940s illustrative plates from Fritzi Brod. A display case of pastries at the entrance is within lurking view from the window.
“We’re bringing rustic fare with sensibility to a fast casual cafe environment,” said Erika Bostick, manager at aka and executive chef at sister restaurant The Coronet.
The conveniently packaged to-go deli options are leagues ahead of a vending machine ham and cheese sandwich. The baguettines on bread from Barrio Bread include gourmet combinations of ingredients such as brie, apple, ham, and Dijon mustard.
Jaime Lawhorn and Erika Bostick at aka Deli & Bakeshop (Credit: Jackie Tran)
Salads get special treatment as well with ingredients sourced through Pivot Produce. The Breakfast Salad features Southwinds Farm leafy greens, brown and wild rice, chilled soft boiled egg, avocado, seed blend, and a French vinaigrette.
Other convenient items to grab-and-go include pâté de campagne, local flowers via market bouquets from Best Buds Botanical, bottles of wine, and milk from Danzeisen Dairy. Picnic baskets may be available further down the line, Bostick said.
Operating hours will be 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
aka Deli & Bakeshop Tentative Menu
- Breakfast Boule – 2 eggs baked in mini sourdough boule with roasted grape tomatoes, seasonal greens, grated Welsh cheddar, and pumpkin seed pesto
- Baguettine Boat – Gruyere, mushroom, leek and eggs baked into a baguettine, sprinkled with fresh herbs
- Chia-Yogurt Parfait – Almond milk yogurt, chia seeds, fresh berries and citrus segments, sliced almonds
- Breakfast Salad – Southwinds leafy greens, brown and wild rice, chilled soft boiled egg, avocado, seed blend, French vinaigrette
- Roasted chicken, tomatoes, baby arugula, house mayo
- Brie, apple, ham, Dijon
- Roast beef, tomatoes, mayo
- Ricotta salata, sauteed shallots, mushrooms
- Cheddar, figs, honey, walnuts
- Smoked Galician, pickled red onions, chimichurri, spinach
- Chicken with winter vegetables
- Asian purple cabbage slaw
- Sweet pea mash
- Beet, yogurt and dill
- Cucumber, lemon, parsley
- Pesto and fingerling potato
- Corn salad
- Tomato and basil salad
- House Italian Sodas – vanilla cardamom, ginger
- Sparkling Lemonade
- Sparkling Water
- Olive Oil Muffins
- Hand Pies
- Orange Date Cake
- Morning Bun
- Sourdough Cinnamon Roll
Breakfast Salad, Brie Baguettine, and Breakfast Boule at aka Deli & Bakeshop (Credit: Jackie Tran)