The holidays are right around the corner and this weekend is the perfect weekend to visit the markets for all of those last minute gift needs. The weather should be beautiful, so grab your reusable tote bags and head outside to finish up your to-do list while supporting the local economy.
Community Food Bank Farmers Markets
Enjoy the musical talents of banjo wizard, Rudy Cortese at the Santa Cruz River Farmers Market this week. Additionally, a variety of special guest vendors will be making appearances to celebrate the holiday season. This is also your last chance to visit either of the Community Food Bank markets this year! Both markets will be closed until January.
Santa Cruz River Farmers Market
100 S. Avenida del Convento, 3 – 6 p.m. Thursday
- Bajo Tierra sells Sonoran style kimchi made from local, naturally grown produce. The kimchi is all vegetarian and has a little extra ginger for added flavor. With all the cookies around, eating a bit of this will add in some much needed calcium and iron into your diet.
- Sleeping Frog Farm brings a beautiful assortment of sweet potatoes, apples, squash, carrots, leeks, garlic and honey.
Community Food Bank Farm Stand
3003 S. Country Club Rd., 8 a.m. – noon Tuesday
- Abundant Harvest Cooperative has collected sweet peppers, carob powder, vinegar, eggs, grapefruit, and dried chiltepines for you to enjoy this week.
For more information visit communityfoodbank.org.
FoodInRoot has published a gift guide to help you navigate the markets and find that perfect present. With over sixty photos highlighting a variety of vendors, it is a great way to narrow down some ideas for those hard to please people on your list. Head to the FoodInRoot Facebook page to see the complete guide.
Rancho Sahuarita Twilight Market
15455 S. Camino Lago Azule, 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Friday
- Tracy’s Irresistible Desserts makes over 12 varieties of cheesecake. Pick up one (or two!) to bring with you to a party or just enjoy yourself. With flavors like Red Velvet, Key Lime, Oreo and White Chocolate, there is something for everyone.
- Hot Bamboo makes Asian food accompanied with flavorful fruit drinks. Stop by for a warm plate of Coconut Curry, Pineapple Teryaki or Pork Chow Mein.
St. Philip’s Plaza Farmers Market
4280 N. Campbell Rd., 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Sunday
- Lasagna and More introduces a new “family size” to its line up of take-home lasagna choices. While you are at the stand, pick up a package of homemade beef jerky or jar of special red sauce for a stocking stuffer too!
- Pappardelles Pasta has the perfect product to complete the next family meal you host. Pick up a selection of the handmade, small batch pastas at the market this week and follow the wonderful recipes included with your purchase to make the meal even easier.
For more information visit foodinroot.com
Heirloom Farmers Markets
This weekend, all three markets celebrate Holidays at the Market! The second annual event features live music, special vendor holiday deals and lots of holiday gift ideas. There will even be a chef demonstration from Caridad Community Kitchen on Sunday at Rillito Park. To add to the fun, Heirloom will be selling raffle tickets for one of two gift baskets full of local goodies valued at over $700 to help raise awareness for our local farming community. For a full list of featured holiday products, visit Heirloomfm.org/events.
4502 N. 1st Ave., 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Sunday
- Fiore Di Capra Goat Cheese offers award winning, grade A raw goat milk, goat cheese, goat milk yogurt and more. This vendor is dedicated to bringing only the highest quality goat milk products and prides itself on being truly “straight from the goat to the customer.”
10901 N. Oracle Rd., 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday
- Breadsmith specializes in hand-crafted artisan breads. All of the products are made fresh daily, from scratch, using only high quality ingredients. A loaf of bread from this vendor will compliment any holiday meal.
Trail Dust Town
6541 E. Tanque Verde Rd., 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Friday
- Durazo’s Poco Loco Specialty makes salsa and other delicious dips. Enjoy a jar of her famous Stupid Hot Pico De Gallo or Guacamole and grab a few extras to give as hostess gifts.
For more information visit heirloomfm.org.