A brief tour of unique cuisine around the world.
DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails is starting its “Around the Globe: Sisters Cities of Gastronomy” tour with a special menu from Wednesday, May 21 – Monday, June 24.
Since Tucson became the first city in the U.S. to be named a City of Gastronomy, chef Janos Wilder and others have traveled to other “sister” cities around the world to share the region’s culinary history and unique foods.
Now, Wilder is ready to share the flavors he’s collected.
This year’s culinary tour is making its first pit stop in Tsuruoka, Japan. It’s an ancient city located near the Sea of Japan, which in turn has an abundance of seafood waiting to take you on a culinary journey. No need to travel to Japan, though, because Wilder and his culinary team have created a menu to mimic the tastes of Tsuruoka.
The menu is available for more than a month at DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails. Take a glance at the menu to give your taste buds something to look forward to.
Tsuruoka, Japan Menu
Choice of Appetizers
- Tsuruoka Mushroom Soup – pickled shiitake, enoki, crimini, and roasted oyster florets in mushroom and ginger broth seasoned with soy, sake, green onion, cellophane noodles, tofu, and bok choy ($11)
- Hibiscus Cured Hamachi Crudo – carrot-coriander puree, prickly pear ponzu, candied jalapeno, furikake with toasted pepitas, radish, and shiso ($14)
- Hiyashi Cold Ramen Salad – slow-roasted corn, scallion, tamago, cucumber, shredded iceberg lettuce, char siu pork, chilled sake-poached shrimp, and sesame-miso dressing ($12)
Choice of Main Courses
- Ankake Pork and Shrimp Donburi – rice bowl with thinly sliced pork loin, shrimp stir-fried with summer squash, gai lan, bok choy, shiitakes, spinach, and ginger ($23)
- Mentaiko Ramen with Roasted Oyster Mushrooms – cod roe, butter, and kobayaki glazed chicken ($23)
- Yakiniku Japanese BBQ Platter – thinly cut quick-grilled short rib with smoked salt, rice; cured pork belly with tempura; dark meat glazed chicken yakitori with pressed, seared tofu, dipping sauces, and pickles ($26)
- Black Sesame and Edamame Ice Cream – blueberry compote and sweetened wasabi whipped cream ($8)
Cooking demo & multi-course dinner
There will also be a companion cooking demonstration class and dinner by chef Wilder on Friday, May 24 from 6 – 9 p.m. at The Carriage House.
Seats are $70 per person and you’ll get a copy of all of the recipes and a multi-course dinner with drinks.
Summer Culinary Tour Schedule
- Panama City, Panama will begin on Wednesday, June 26 with the class and dinner on Friday, June 28.
- Burgos, Spain begins on Wednesday, August 21 with class and dinner on Friday, August 23.
DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails is located at 135 S. Sixth Ave. For more information, visit downtownkitchen.com.
The Carriage House Event Venue and Cooking School is located in downtown Tucson at 125 S. Arizona Ave. Class reservations can be made at carriagehousetucson.com or by calling 520-615-6100.